These molasses cookies are like soft ginger snaps. These are delicious any time of year, but especially good for holiday time.
- ¾ cup butter - melted
- 1 cup + ½ cup granulated sugar - divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Mix the flour, salt, and spices in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter and beat it with the sugar, vanilla, and egg until smooth.
- Beat in the molasses.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Cover with wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Shape the dough into balls about the size of walnuts. You can use a medium cookie scoop (1 Tablespoon) to scoop two scoops into one ball.
- Roll the dough balls in the remaining sugar and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet. If you want easier clean-up, use parchment paper. This will make them much easier to transfer to cooling racks.
- Use the bottom of a clean glass or measuring cup to flatten the dough balls to between 1/4 and 1/2 inch in height.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. The tops may crack before they are removed from the oven; this is normal.
- Carefully remove from the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool completely.
If you want your cookies to sparkle use Turbinado (Sugar in the Raw) when you roll the dough balls.
If you want rounder cookies, refer to the gif in the post for how to use a wide-mouth mason jar lid to shape them while cooling. (You could use a glass or small bowl)
How to round your cookies.
These are large cookies, so you will need a wide-mouth ring for mason jars or a small bowl for these.
While the cookies are cooling, place the ring over a cookie and quickly but gently circle the cookie so it bounces around the inside edges of the ring, rounding out.
What do you need to make molasses cookies?
- 1granulated sugar
- blackstrap molasses
- all-purpose flour
- ground cinnamon
- ground cloves (optional)
- ground ginger
- baking sheets
- wire baking racks for cooling
- hand or stand mixer
- cookie scoop
Like your molasses cookies, but want something crispy? Try this Gingersnaps recipe.