We’re going to talk about spring cleaning your bedrooms. A clean bedroom is a place of rest, where we go after a long day to allow our bodies to reset and refresh themselves. Sleep hygiene is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves, and taking care of the bedroom, and all of the distractions that wind up in it, goes a long way in ensuring a good night’s rest.
- Start with the closets. Remove everything except clothes and try to get rid of about half the stuff in there, if possible. Eventually, you’ll get your clutter level down so low that there are only essential items left, but you’ll still find stuff you don’t need, guaranteed.
- Remove the clothes from the closet and get rid of anything that doesn’t fit, you hate, or is stained or torn. Here are tips on how to get clothing clutter under control.
- Once you have everything out of the closet, dust the walls, ceiling, and light fixtures, wash the baseboards, and vacuum. Then put everything back where it belongs.
- Take the comforter off the bed and dust the fan and/or light fixtures. Taking the comforter off is essential — it’s easier to wash the sheets versus a comforter. If you do have a washable comforter, take your comforter off and wash it, store it, or whatever you do with it in the spring. Here are some tips on how to clean a down comforter.
- Take the sheets, dust ruffle, and other extraneous stuff on your bed and wash them—lay pillows in the sun to air out.
- Pull all the furniture away from the walls, wash the baseboards, and use the edging tool on your vacuum cleaner to clean where the wall and carpet meet.
- If the bedroom curtains can be washed, take them down and wash them. If not, do a thorough vacuuming of them. Wash the windows inside and out while you are at it.
- Thoroughly dust the walls and furniture. Remember to dush from top to bottom!
- Clean out the nightstands. Get rid of anything you don’t need.
- Empty the trash.
- Move all the furniture to where it belongs and vacuum the entire room.
- Make up the bed with clean linens.
Enjoy your fresh, clean bedroom!
Submit your questions to email@example.com.