You have seen one of my favorite recipes Sausage, Peppers, and Onions, right? This simple variation is great for those nights when you need something lower carb, have gluten free guests, or simply want to incorporate more cruciferous vegetables into your diet.
You can substitute any of your favorite greens, cut into shreds, for the collards in this meal without any changes. If you would like to get super adventurous and try something like broccoli rabe in place of the collard greens, then I strongly recommend you do not omit the recommended blanching step. With milder greens, blanching is unnecessary, but if you are particularly sensitive to bitter flavors, go ahead and add the optional tomatoes or a squeeze of lemon juice to reduce any potential bitter flavor.
: Collard Greens, Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions
: Quick weeknight, guest worthy, gluten-free meal
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage links
- splash of olive oil
- 1 yellow or white onion, sliced (I prefer Vidalia)
- 2 – 6 bell peppers
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBSP fresh basil, chopped (chiffonade if you’re fancy) or a good pinch of dried
- 2 generous 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 lb shredded collard greens (half a large bag)
- optional 1 15oz can tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
- Brown the sausage in a splash of olive oil over medium-low. When the links are cooked through, remove them from the pot, slice them into coins and return to the pot.
- Add the sliced onions and bell peppers and cook until the onions are soft, stirring frequently.
- Add the collard greens, basil, Italian seasoning and tomatoes (optional) and cook for ten minutes. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.