Traditional Shepherd’s pie contains lamb, gravy, and vegetables, covered with mashed potatoes. Its close cousin cottage pie contains beef. This version substitutes vegetable stock for the broth used to make the gravy and contains kidney beans to provide protein. As the mashed potatoes contain milk and are topped with cheese, this one dish* meal is suitable for lacto-ovo vegetarians. If you are opposed to alcohol just use an additional 1/2 cup of stock.
*It ends up in one dish but takes a several to cook.
Pseudo Shepherds Pie Ingredients
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic – minced or pressed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms – sliced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup red wine (or substitute an additional 1/2 cup of stock)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 cups or 1 can kidney beans (fully cooked)
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetables (use whatever you have on hand: corn, green beans, peas)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 4 potatoes – peeled, and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 oz of cheddar cheese
Directions after the jump.