Originally posted 2008 – Updated 2022
I don’t know why oatmeal cookies get the hate they do. They are hands down my favorite cookie. This is my favorite recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies, producing a soft, chewy cookie.
Additionally, the raisins in a cookie matter. a lot. To get good raisins that can stand up to the oven, you want to soak them in hot water with a splash of vanilla while you are putting together the rest of the recipe. You can also use spiced rum as a soak for your raisins.
Step-by-step photos are below the printable recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies.
Yield: 30 cookies
Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 3/4 cup butter - softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- two eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon OR 1 tsp cinnamon + 1/4 tsp ground cloves & 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 cups rolled oats (regular, not quick cooking or instant)
- 1 cup raisins - soaked
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices soda in a small bowl.
- Cream the softened butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until fluffy using either a stand mixer or a hand mixer.
- To the now fluffy butter and sugar, add the eggs one at a time and the vanilla beat until just combined
- Add in your flour mixture and stir until just combined. If you are using a stand mixer, be sure to use a spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of your bowl to ensure all of the flour has been incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Add the rolled oats to the batter and stir by hand (with your spatula) just until the oats are mixed in. Add the raisins and carefully mix them in by hand, as well.
- Use a cookie scoop, and drop by rounded tablespoon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten slightly.
- Bake at 375°F for 8 -10 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for two minutes and carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Yields approximately 30 cookies.
What do you need to make oatmeal raisin cookies?
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon
- ground cloves (optional)
- nutmeg (optional)
- rolled oats (regular, not quick cooking or instant)
- baking sheets
- parchment paper
- stand or hand mixer (you can do this by hand, it will take longer)
3 thoughts on “Oatmeal Raisin Cookies Recipe”
My favorite is oatmeal raisin and shockingly I’ve never made them. I’ve made countless chocolate chip, no-bake, M&M, sugar, peanut butter, etc. but never an oatmeal raisin. This should be fun! 🙂
How many eggs? There are no eggs listed in the ingredients, but they are listed in the instructions…..
I just have to say, I love this recipe, but I substitute cranberries for the raisins…I'm not a raisin fan. Sooooo good. I'm making a double batch right now for a bridal shower. Hopefully my husband won't eat them all before Saturday. 😉